Burn Permit Information


"It's The Law - Fire Permits Required"

  • Every person, firm, or corporation who wishes to burn clean, ordinary combustibles such as leaves, brush or untreated lumber, or have a camp or cooking fire must have written permission from the landowner AND a fire permit from the local Forest Fire Warden or local Fire Department in the town or city where the fire will be kindled. You must be at least 18 years of age to obtain a written fire permit.
  • For any open burning a written fire permit is required. A category I fire may be kindled with a permit at any time whether raining or not. A category II and category III fire may only be kindled with a permit between the hours of 5:00 PM and 9:00 AM unless it is raining; however a permit is still required when raining. If it stops raining the fire must be extinguished.
  • When obtaining a permit be prepared to show a photo ID, such as a driver’s license. Permits can be obtained at Gilford Fire-Rescue, 39 Cherry Valley Road.
  • There is no charge for a fire permit obtained from Gilford Fire-Rescue. However, permits are now available online from NH Division of Forests and Lands. The online permits are available for your convenience, and there is a small fee ($5.00) which is used to maintain the online program. Neither the Town of Gilford nor the Gilford Fire-Rescue Department receives these fees. Clicking HERE will bring you to the New Hampshire Division of Forests and Lands Online Burn Permitting System.
  • Only leaves, wood debris or brush less than 5 inches in diameter can be burned.No combustible domestic waste, treated wood or composite materials may be burned. RSA-125N defines "combustible domestic waste" as, but not limited to, household trash, packaging materials, plastics, coated or laminated papers, rubber or treated wood, coated or treated cardboard, oily rags, and animal, vegetable, and kitchen waste."
  • A gas grill or charcoal fire in a container up and off the ground kindled by the landowner or with the landowner’s permission does not require a written permit.
  • It should be kept in mind, even with a valid permit, under State law; any damage caused as a result of a kindled fire becomes the obligation of the party responsible for kindling the fire; including the cost of suppression.

Please click for the Backyard Burning Quick Guide.